Thursday, July 29, 2010

Introduction

I originally started off with Post #1, no Introduction. Alone, the entry was missing something. It felt rather awkward. So, here goes my Introduction!


46 more hours until my flight takes off from Newark, NJ.
60 more hours until my flight lands in Taipei, Taiwan.

At this point, I don't know whether I consider myself more Taiwanese, more American, or both equally (although my passports legally say I'm both!). The purpose of this online journal is for me to keep track of my many escapades (because I know they're coming!) and comment oh-so-cleverly on the reverse-cultural experience.

When I decided to attend National Taiwan University (台大) 2 months ago, I partially thought of it as subjecting myself to a cultural experiment. And, as any good AP chemistry student knows, all experimentation must include documentation! So, from that standpoint, this is my lab report :)

Or, from the viewpoint of my friends who are probably used to/bored of my rambling and are familiar with the spastic and lengthy nature of my previous blogs, this is just another place for me to talk to the world/whomever/myself! :D I secretly enjoy reading blog posts from 7th grade and making fun of myself for being so "cool" back then. I like looking back on those posts, thinking way too much and overanalyzing everything, and seeing how much I've changed with time. 

I've kept many blogs and written diaries in the past but have never continuously written or finished a blog/diary. I know you can't just say "the end" in a diary, but there are definitely certain checkpoints in life that may provide an appropriate closing entry (e.g. a travel blog ends with that trip is over, a diary can be just a "middle school" diary, etc.).

This time, I plan on blogging continuously for 4 years. About life, about college, about Taiwan. The end, at least for now, of my journey in America is the beginning of Re:Discovery. Hopefully I can keep this up! So, let's see how this goes. Wish me luck, and maybe I'll even be able to read my posts 6 years from now without too much self mockery.

No comments:

Post a Comment